Gut Nourishing Bone Broth for Babies (and the whole fam!).Print This
- 500gm bones of choice
- 2 large carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- Filtered water (fill to cover bones)
- Herbs and spices of choice (optional)
- Roast the bones in oven on 180º for 30 minutes. Once roasted place bones in a large pot or slow cooker and cover with filtered water, add apple cider vinegar.
- Let sit for 20-30 minutes (to allow the apple cider vinigar to leach minerals from the bones). Rough chop the veggies and add to the pot along with onion, garlic herbs and spices.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Check in on the broth regularly and remove the film that forms on the top with a large spoon.
- Keep simmering the broth for as long as you can. The longer you simmer the more nourishing and flavourful the broth will be. Simmer beef, lamb and pork broth for 8-12 hours.
Bone broth's easy to digest and soothing compounds are a fantastic support to a baby's developing digestive system. A baby who is sick/fighting an infection, may benefit from regular sips of bone broth to help support, heal and repair the gut and support the immune system. Serve from 6-12 months of age, limit bubs daily intake to 100ml.
Bone broth contains both glycosamine and chondroitin, which are two of the most important nutrients to support the development of your babies bones. Bone broth is also a great source of gelatin and collagen, these are key in building and supporting connective tissue.
If your bub (or you) are prone to allergies, bone broth can be a wonderful support. Collagen has the ability to strengthen the intestional lining. This is an amazing property that can greatly reduce the risk of allergies and food sensitivities.
Visit @happybebebellies on Instagram for more great recipes, tips and tricks.